Baby, You Summa Time Fine: 5 Essentials Items for Summer ‘13
Rejoice, because summer time is almost here! Is anyone as excited for long nights and mosquito bites as I am?! Okay, maybe not the mosquito bites. Whether you plan on taking summer courses, go on vacation, or just chill, here are a few essentials to make sure you’re summer ready.
Sunscreen: No matter how cute you think you are, there is nothing cute about sunburn. Before you go out for some fun in the sun, make sure you lather up with your favorite sunscreen and keep it handy, because you will have to reapply for maximum protection.
Shorts: C’mon, everyone knows the purpose of summer time is to show off that body you’ve been working on all winter for. Shorts will forever and always be a staple in summer wardrobes. From short shorts to long bermuda shorts to trendy cargo shorts and board shorts, if you don’t have at least one pair in your summer arsenal, you’re doing it wrong.
Sunglasses: Nothing says summer time like a hot pair of sunglasses. Wayfarers, avatars, cat-eye, round, tinted…the possibilities are endless. Protect your beautiful eyes and throw shade ever so flawlessly with a hot pair of sunglasses.
Lip Balm: For those hot summer nights. No one wants to kiss chapped lips and you don’t want to be known as the person with the super dry lips, do you? Although it is less common for dry lips in the summer, it is still essential. Also, ladies, if you want to add some spice to your lip balm, there is an assortment of highly pigmented and tasty ones to choose from.
WATER: Water is the most important thing to have for those long, hot Texas days. Have you taken summer classes and attempted to walk across campus without a bottle of water handy? It is something like cruel and unusual punishment.
Blast From the Past: 10 Best Movies from the 90s
Oh what I’d give to go back to the 90s. From the movies, the fashions, and the awesome music, clearly the 90s was inarguably the best decade…like ever! From “Clueless” teenagers to creepy cloned dinosaurs, the 90s had some of the best movies, hands down.
Clueless: Did you think this wouldn’t be on the list? As if!
Cruel Intentions: “Super rich kids with nothing but fake friends.”
The Sixth Sense: Haley Joel Osment made seeing ghost look like a super cool and equally creepy pastime. What phrase is more classic than, “I See Dead People”?.
Forrest Gump: What better way to describe life’s unexpected twists and turns than with the simple phrase, “Life if like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”
Jurassic Park: It’s safe to say genetically cloned dinosaurs are a bad idea.
Never Been Kissed: Who wouldn’t want a second chance at high school?
10 Things I Hate About You: A young Heath Ledger and an even younger Joseph Gordon-Levitt, makes it very hard to find at least one thing to hate about this movie.
Independence Day: Will Smith and aliens…nuff said.
The Matrix: I had never been so mind-boggled in my entire life.
BUZZ: September 2013
Prisoners (September 20, 2013)
Starring Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Melissa Leo, and Paul Dano.
Plot: A carpenter from a small town takes the law into his own hands when his eight-year-old daughter and her best friend is kidnapped. He kidnaps the man he feel is responsible, but he begins to have doubts about the suspect as his daughter and her friend’s captivity continues.
The 20/20 Experience (September 30, 2013)
Justin Timberlake with back with the sequel to his multi-platinum album, The 20/20 Experience. This album will pick up where its counter-part left off with those smooth falsettos from Mr. Timberlake. Hopefully the sequel will be just as good as the original.
Olivia Pope and her team of gladiators are back. If you couldn’t get enough of the drama and heart-wrenching plot twists, then you’re in luck! Scandal returns this fall with more juicy story lines and steamy love scenes.
This is for the movie lover in you. This is a place where you can discuss your favorite movies and see what your favorite actors are up to. Whenever you’re taking a break from what ever it is you’re suppose to be doing, check out this website. This means you, RTF majors!
This website provides tips and tricks to getting your life together. They have time management tips, DIYs, and plenty of other things to help you better your life.
If you are constantly asking, “What should I wear”, this is the site for you. 6pm.com offers deals and discounts on name brand clothing. Trust me, your wardrobe will never be the same.
Campus Blog: Top 5 Events –August
Lil Wayne & T.I. featuring 2 Chainz.: America’s Most Wanted Music Festival– 8/17
Location: Austin 360 Amphitheatre
-If you just so happen to be a fan of Tunchie, TIP, and 2 Chaaaaiiinnzzz, you better be in attendance at this show! New Orleans and Atlanta’s finest bring their show to Austin on August 17th!
7th Annual Austin Ice Cream Festival– 8/17
Location: Fiesta Gardens
-If you love ice cream and festivals, look no further! The 7th Annual Ice Cream festival will be here August 17th. Enjoy music, games, contests, and loads of ice cream!
Bruno Mars: The Moonshine Jungle Tour– 8/14
Location: Frank Erwin Center
-Bruno Mars brings his tour to Austin, Tx with special guest Ellie Goulding. If you enjoyed his album Unorthodox Jukebox as much as I did, then you’ll definitely want to be in attendance.
Austin Sound & Cinema: “Jurassic Park” -8/21
Location: Long Center for Performing Arts
-DO512 and Alamo Draft House present a musical tribute to the classic film Jurassic Park, followed by a screening of the film on Alamo Draft House’s giant inflatable outdoor screen.
Cold War Kids Concert– 8/22
Location” Stubbs BBQ
-For all you Cold War Kids fans, the crew will be in Austin on August 22nd, so you better get your tickets fast.
Top 5 Random
Who doesn’t love breakfast tacos? Like really? There is just something about chorizo and egg wrapped in a warm corn tortilla that makes my heart sing. There is honestly nothing better than starting off an early morning with a breakfast taco. Just in case you’ve never had one or you want to add a bit more variety to your taco-loving morning, here’s a few places with some of the best breakfast tacos in Austin
- NewWorld Deli
Located at the corner of Guadalupe and 41st Street, this deli offers and array of sandwiches and really awesome tacos. NewWorld charges by number of items you put in your taco, so you can get a little or a lot and the price is up to you.
- Mi Madres
This place is located on Manor Road and they argue that they have the best tacos in town. I’ll let you be the judge of that.
- Taco Xpress
Tucked in a small corner on the busy street of S. Lamar Blvd, Taco Xpress is said to have some of the best vegetarian tacos in Austin. I also hear the bathrooms are really clean!
People from all over Austin rave about Tacodeli. Located on Burnet Road, Tacodeli offers a wide range of tacos.
- Juan in a Million
You should go here simply because of the brilliant play on words. Located on Cesar Chavez, Juan in a Million is the go to spot for delicious tacos and awesome burritos.
Favorite Fall/Winter Trends
It’s the time of the year when nights get longer, days get colder and fall fashion runs rampant on runways, sidewalks, and school campuses. Every year there are a new set of trends that fashionistas and college students alike imitate and make their own. There is just something about the cooler months that makes a persons inner style come out of deep summer hibernation
1. Berry Hues. Whether it is berry colored lips, blazers, or pants, this color embodies fall. A dark berry colored pair of pants and a mustard color sweater is my absolute favorite color combination right now.
2. The Equestrian trend. I am in love with riding boots paired with blazers and straight leg pants.
3. Leather. The best time to wear anything leather is during the cooler months. I’ve seen leather leggings, leather pants, leather jackets, and anything else you could think of. Leather is definitely a staple of Fall 2012.
4. Peplum. I was a bit skeptical about the peplum trend at first, but now i love it. A gorgeous peplum top pair with a body con skirt or a great pair of skinny leg pants are perfect for those cool date nights.
5. Prints. I’m not sure who to thank for this quirky fall trend, but I am thankful. I love prints! From mixed prints, courtesy of Solange Knowles, to matched prints, courtesy of Beyoncé Knowles, prints are a great way to bring edge to any outfit
I attend a school where people think it’s perfectly fine to wear Nike shorts and running shoes as everyday attire. Yes, I know we’re hard working college students and we are all entitled to our off days, but everyday? I am no fashionista and will never claim to be, but being that the majority of the students at my school dress the way I described above, I find it hard to let my personal style show. Many students don’t even bother to change out of their pajamas let alone attempt to put on a decent pair of pants. With such a relaxed dress at my school, how can I or anyone else in my situation look fashionable, without looking completely ridiculous?
During my almost three years here I have observed and have complied a few tips on looking fashionable at a very unfashionable university:
1. Leggings are your best friends. Leggings can be casual or dressy, depending on how you wear them. Depending on the season, leggings can be paired with a cute sweater and a pair of boots, or a nice, flowing tunic with your favorite pair of sandals.
2. Never underestimate the power of a blazer. Blazers are not just for offices and boardroom meetings. Blazers are great for adding style to even the simplest outfit. Pair a blazer with your favorite pair of skinny or straight leg jeans, a solid colored V-neck, and adorable flats, and you’re good to go. No one will even know it took you less than five minutes to put this entire outfit together.
3. ACCESSORIZE! You would be surprised at how much a pair of gorgeous sunglasses or a multi-length necklace would bring to a bland outfit. If you have been up all night studying, the last thing you want to do is spend at least half an hour in front of your closest trying to decide on what to wear. How about you just throw on a simple pair of black leggings (I told you, they would be your best friend), a button up blouse (long enough to cover your bottom), a hot pair of earrings and an edgy necklace, and you’re good to go!